Saturday 17 February 2024

Captain's Corner February 2024

A message from the new Senior Section Captain Richard Westergreen-Thorne


I am very pleased to be writing to you as the new Senior Section Captain and I am really
looking forward to the year ahead. Thank you to everyone who attended the AGM. 
There is already an article on the blog about it for those of you not able to come along.
I know that I will have a very hard act to follow as Jonathan has done such an excellent job
on our behalf over the past year. He played in all the competitions and only missed 1 match
all season and he also worked tirelessly behind the scenes on our behalf. There was even
the odd good joke!
Thank you to everyone who signed the card and donated towards the gift for Jonathan
that we were able to present to him at the AGM.
With our first few competitions open for entry and the chance to sign up to play in matches
it is an exciting time of the year as we look forward to the golf that lies ahead.
I wanted to choose as my charity for the year something that made a difference to people’s
lives and which we can all relate to. At a time of life changing advances in medical science I
know that our donation will be very well used by the British Heart Foundation. They will
spend what we donate on, in their words ‘research that will save lives’. I do hope that you
will be able to support my efforts for this charity during the year.
You can find out more about the fantastic work that they do at bhf.org.uk
I plan to play in as many events as I can this year but may not be able to match Jonathan’s
achievement. With the additional matches this year there is only one week between April
and November where we do not have a competition or a match – and that is in the middle
of October – guess when I am having my holiday!
Thinking about the year ahead there are three key things that I would like to see:
- Let’s all encourage as many members as possible to be involved in what we do by
playing, competing and helping. If you know someone who would enjoy joining in
then do give them a nudge to contact Tony Lloyd jogshonsec@gmail.com
- I would like to see us continue to develop what we offer in our calendar to provide
opportunities for golf for all members
- Above all, I would like us all to enjoy the golfing year that lies ahead – even
sometimes despite the golf. I am sure that I will have to remind myself of that a few
times during the year!
Thank you again for electing me as your Captain for 2024 and I hope to see you out on the
course during 2024.


An Offer

There are 7 roles outlined in the constitution for committee members and this year some
will be shared by the same person so that we currently have a committee of 5 people. The
committee feels that to both spread the load and provide an opportunity for new recruits to
join the committee we should co-opt two people on to the committee for this year. I am
pleased to report that this was agreed at the AGM.
The committee would welcome any members interested in coming forward to join the
committee to let Tony Lloyd (Hon Sec) know by Monday 26th February. If you would like an
informal conversation about what it would involve then do have a chat with myself or
another committee member. We meet as a committee about once a month and we are
looking for people who would be willing to attend the committee meetings and help
support the work of the committee with our matches, competitions, new members, etc
Richard Westergreen - Thorne

No comments: