Thursday 23 June 2022

Longest Day Challenge June 22 2022

 Seniors Captain Algy Grimes reports on the 54 hole charity challenge

7am: the four captains begin their challenge on the JoG first tee



Well what did I let myself in for; thank you Bill Walker for starting this now annual event.

At the golf club before 6.30am, I haven’t been out at that time of day since I retired, except if going on holiday to catch a flight. One by one the other Captains arrived: Club Rob Bage, Ladies Hazel House and Juniors Holly Gordon. Then Gordon Macleod arrived with his camera asking for various poses on the first tee of the JOG course, I wish he had got my best side, rather than my backside!

Play started promptly at 7am with a Greensomes match of myself and Hazel playing Rob and Holly. We had a great round with fun had by all. This day was not about winners and losers it was about playing three rounds in one day. Following the round we went and had some refreshments but there was not time to finish my toast and marmalade before being whisked off for round two, so made a sandwich of it like Paddington Bear and the Queen for later.

Round two was 4BBB on the Carthegana course where the ball was running a long way even with the occasional duffed shot that I did. This time it was the Rob and me against Hazel and Holly, we ended with an honourable half. Then back in the clubhouse to take on more fuel, tuna crunch baguettes are good and filling.

So off we went again to the JOG course to play foursomes, having pulled a muscle in my back earlier in the day, at least I didn’t have to play every shot. This time my playing partner was Holly against Rob and Hazel, and because of Holly being a great player, we had to give Hazel and Rob 3 shots. During the round we were joined by various supporters which was nice after such a long day. At the finish on the 18th there were even more people to welcome us in and we received some applause from those on the terrace. After posing for more photographs we stowed our clubs and off to the clubhouse for well-earned refreshments.

My thanks go to Hazel, Holly and Rob for putting up with an injured golfer for a lot of the day, it is not true to be aware of the injured golfer, I know from yesterday.

Lastly thank you to everyone who donated to not only my charity but the other Captain’s charities. That is why we were out there.


Seniors Captain Algy Grimes tees off on the first 

Ladies Captain Hazel House tees off

Approaching the 18th green


Algy congratulates the Juniors Captain Holly

18 holes down, only 36 more to go!

We’ve done it. The famous four celebrate the completion of the challenge


STOP PRESS: at the last count Algy’s Just Giving page had raised £1,996 for his charity, the Sepsis Trust. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done to you all. Great work Algy. 👌