Friday 29 March 2019

Away Match v Bedford and County - 26th March 2019


Our first away fixture against Bedford and County was played in fine weather with a light breeze however cool it was to the skin.

I was playing with John Ellary against a pair of superior golfers, Frank off 12 and Ron off 6. This did mean we were receiving shots, quite a few, although the ball from our opponents was still in the air as it passed our drives. Our only hope was to gel together and hope our opponents were affected by there recent golfing break to South Africa.

Somehow we built an early lead and were two up after five holes, and we managed to get to that stage where at least one of us played the hole well.

We approached the final hole one to the good, and all but me were on the green for three, me four, but all putting before me had problems, our opponents down for five, me to putt for a half. This was probably my best moment of the season as I holed from about fifteen feet to half the hole and therefore win our match.

This fighting spirit was not matched by the remainder of the team and unfortunately we lost 6-2, in spite of my vice captain achieving an eagle on his way to an honourable defeat.

As usual the hospitality was excellent, as was the meal, and we left sustained if not victorious.

Bill Walker takes charge of the next match against Wellingborough and I wish him and his team well against another set of difficult opponents.

Dave Gauge
Seniors Captain

No comments: