Tuesday 4 September 2018

Senior Section Captain's Day - 28th August 2018


Captains Day had its moments.

David Gauge our Vice captain and organiser for the day had his work cut out as he had to deal with absentees prior to the day. I was on holiday for the fortnight, Michael was on holiday and came back the morning of the day and Simon is off ill. To top it all the day before was a bank holiday Monday and nobody could be reached so Tuesday morning was hectic to say the least. My thanks goes out to our ladies Captain Sue who mustered 5 of her ladies to hand out the cards and sell the raffle tickets, starters on the tee's and the putting competition  Well done Ladies..

I had the honour of playing with the club Captain Stuart Gardner and Bill Burrows. We had a really nice day great company but not so good golf. The weather stayed dry and the course was as good as it could be with the recent weather leaving its mark. 

I had a lovely surprise when I came in to the dining room, Ladies Captain Sue had a lovely cake waiting for me and a wee bottle of whisky in a tartan box along with a card showing a train a Spitfire and Hurricane fighter planes and an MG sports car.

What I didn't know that the train was the Flying Scotsman which was the whole point of the card.my profound apologies Sue for being a thick Jock but much appreciated the gesture.

We had several skill prizes 4 nearest the pins and the putting competition.

The nearest the pin winners were Pat Gilgallon on the 4th, John Sandland on the 10th, 
Fred Cox on the 16th This one was very close. Jim McIlwaine on the 11th with the nearest the pin in 2. Last but not least the evergreen Mr Allan Fowler took the putting competition with 19 points. For the main competition the top three were;-
.

In 3rd place was Graham Lewis (above) with 40 points and cut 1.8
 

Second place was Grahame Berry (above) also with 40 points and cut 2.0
 

The winner on the day was Brian Bullen (above)  with an astounding 43 points .cut 2.4.

Brian gave a very complex reason for his mystical return to form, it had something to do with being hit by a tuk-tuk, I think that is a foreign tricycle taxi and a physio with magic hands. All I can say is that I am looking for the same magic at the match with Letchworth when he is my partner. Well done Brian and all the other winners.

All in all I had a great day and hope you all did to.

Your Captain
Jim Jock.

No comments: