Monday 28 August 2017

Senior Foursomes KO Final 2017


This report was sent in from Alban Macdonald to the Seniors Captain and Hon Sec updating us on the final of the Senior Foursomes KO: ”

Peter Wade & Richard Westergreen-Thorne played Graham Lewis and myself in the final of the Seniors Foursomes KO on Friday morning on the Carthagena course. 

Peter and Richard played extremely well and I was convinced Graham and I had blown it when we lost the only hole we had a shot on - the 7th. Even though we rallied a bit were two down on the turn. We proceeded to loose the 10th and 11th being four down on the 12th tee so I felt we had little or no hope of winning... But then Graham and I hit a purple patch;  paring or better every hole from then on, and so winning six of the seven remaining holes; we pared the 13th for a half.  

The highlight for me was seeing Graham sink an amazing 30 foot putt to birdie the 16th and so bring the match all square.  We went one up on the 17th and  Peter and Richard eventually conceded on the 18th green as we had two putts from 2 foot to win the match.  

Of course Graham and I are delighted to win but we have to pay credit to Peter and Richard for playing so well together, being such worthy opposition and helping to make the final such a great match.
 
Alban Macdonald - 28th August 2017

No comments: