Organiser Paul Jones reports
It was a lovely
sunny morning when I set off from Northampton and I was grateful that the sun
hadn’t reached its full height as another warm day was forecast.
This is
obviously a very popular fixture as Fred Williams turned up despite not being
on the team-sheet, so we had a slight dilemma. Certain players could have used
current form as an excuse to stand down (no names mentioned) but Algy magnanimously
agreed to let Fred play as Fred was car sharing with Tariq.
On paper, the
two teams appeared to be quite well matched, as the JOG team were only giving
10 shots to our opponents. The average Handicap Index for Wellingborough’s players
was 18.6 and ours was 17.2.
Fortunately, I
had the luxury of having a draft version of their team, and this time it wasn’t
too difficult to try and create matches that on paper could be close. Only two players overall received more than
10 shots (one per side in the same match)
By the time we
finished our coffees and introductions and got outside, the temperature had
ramped up and there were only light blue polo shirts to be seen.
As the
organiser, I was paired with Captain Barlow and unsurprisingly he was the
“scratch” player in our group, so our opponents were getting 6 and 5 shots and
I received 10.
An historic, quaint stone summer house
(gazebo) built for King Charles I and his courtiers stands directly in the
middle of the first fairway and the first requirement to playing this hole is
to not hit it. Dave led us off and hit a good tee shot. My strategy to miss it
was to “grub” a seven wood about 70 yards into the trees on the left. Dave’s second shot found the bunker so we
were 1 down to their Captain’s par.
On the second
Dave hit the best drive of all of us but was unlucky to find the fairway
bunker. The other three players all went left and I was in the middle of the 17th
fairway. Dave’s bunker shot put him in trouble and he put his third into the
greenside bunker. (3 bunker visits in 2 holes this looked ominous) From the 17th
fairway I played over the trees clearing them by inches and walked towards the
green. Dave and I were very pleased to see my ball about 4 foot from the hole. It
was eventually conceded for a birdie so I didn’t have to face the frustration
of missing a birdie putt.
This seemed to
spark our Captain into life as he won the next two holes with pars, winning the
nearest the pin award on the 4th.
I won the 5th
thanks to my shot and the next three holes were halved, David getting a par on
the SI 3 hole 7th despite our opponents both getting shots.
I won the SI 1
9th with a par so we were three up at the turn.
We lost the 10th
then on the par 3 11th I hit my tee shot to 4 or 5 feet. Dave and one of the other team members secured
their pars, so my moment for glory was upon me.
Earlier I had had putts to win holes after Dave had secured a half and I
was over-hitting them so, subscribing to the “don’t be short” school of thought, I tried to treat it like a normal putt and it dropped in.
The next few
holes were a bit scrappy with 3 halves and a loss. Earlier in the round I had
thought about advising Dave that a particular hole would be a good one to use
his driver and I wasn’t brave enough to say anything. So we were stood on the
16th tee facing three holes that I have never played well. Dave pulled out his driver and a little voice
inside me blurted out loud “I don’t think that driver is the best club for this
hole”
Where did that
bravery come from I thought, how dare a 19 handicapper tell our esteemed
Captain how to play golf. I’ll let Dave
tell you what he thought and did but I was last to go and I changed my club and
tried to play safe. Fortunately, I got a
good bounce from out of the trees and found the fairway but I had only covered
half of the 300 yards on that hole. I
hit my second shot (my fourth good shot of the day) onto the green and we
closed out the match.
I think
everybody messed up the 17th and Dave finished with a par on the 18th
just to prove that cometh the hour he would have been there.
We showered,
changed and could have read “War and Peace” and watched Titanic on video as we waited
for the other groups to come in.
The second
match went to Wellingborough and the third match featured Steve “keep right on”
Mathers who had a lesson last week and had fixed his game. Dave and I put our
mortgages on him (I paid mine off about 6 years ago) but alas it didn’t work
out and probably a further lesson will be needed.
The next match
featured Fred (can I play please) Williams and Gerry (who wins every match,
except when he plays with me) and they delivered a point.
Due to the 2
tee start, match 6 was next in and Tony and Graham delivered a point. Tony got off to a flyer then Graham woke up
and they gelled very well. Tony also won
the extra prize that was up for grabs for both teams i.e. nearest the pin in
two on the 18th. Extra credit
as this was that group’s second hole
Match 7 went
Wellingborough’s way
Match eight
featured Chris Roy and Rob Ebsworth and Chris managed to recover from his long
walk to the 17th starting tee and they delivered a point.
Only the result
from match 5 was needed and we couldn’t lose.
Dave was convinced that we would be coming away with a draw but Daniel, who was the scratch player and giving “The Judge” 20 shots, and Oz, who was getting
13 shots off Daniel, came in with a valuable half point.
We then feasted
upon a “luxury buffet”. One of the Wellingborough members suggested that
the phrase was subjective but I have to say we really enjoyed it.
Wellingborough’s
Captain gave a short speech and presented the individual awards (Tony and Dave
picked up nearest the pins as previously mentioned) and he then invited Dave to
announce the result which was a 4.5 to 3.5 win for JOG.
The individual
match results were:
|
David Barlow (Captain) |
Won 3 & 2 |
|
Paul Jones |
|
|
Paul Jeeves |
Lost 3 & 2 |
|
Tariq Bhatti |
|
|
Stephen Mathers |
Lost 5 & 3 |
|
Paul Life |
|
|
Fred Williams |
Won 2 Up |
|
Gerry Degaute |
|
|
Mehmet Osman |
Match Halved |
|
Daniel Emkes |
|
|
Tony Walters |
Won 3 & 2 |
|
Graham Gadsden |
|
|
Michael Newstead |
Lost 2 & 1 |
|
Barry Donovan |
|
|
Rob Ebsworth |
Won 4 & 3 |
|
Chris Roy |
We then went on
our merry way after a really enjoyable day.
I rushed home to wash my shirt as I am playing in the home match
tomorrow. If you are playing in this
match, I suggest not standing down wind of anyone that played today just in
case operating a washing machine is not in the skill set of a senior golfer.
No comments:
Post a Comment