Tuesday 24 May 2022

Seniors at home to South Beds, May 24 2022

 Match organiser Tony Goodson reports

Shorts or long trousers? That was the crucial question ahead of our clash with South Beds. We are in May after all.

The forecast was for rain, and we did get some, although only two or three showers depending on your start time. Having noted others were wearing shorts I also wore them. I was pleased I did as the sun did come out at times.

Fortunately I only had to use one reserve, and that was done several days in advance.

The match, played on Carthagena, was very close with JOG winning 4.5 – 3.5.  My game with Captain Algy was close all the way round. We lost the first, then won the 7th, lost the 9th, won the 13th to be all square, then won the 15th to take the lead. Unfortunately we lost the 17th to be all square again.  I got a par on the 18th thinking that we were in to draw or win as Paul Burgess from South Beds was on the lower tier of the green at least 30ft away. He made the putt for a birdie and we lost. 

Brian Bullen in team 3 was only about 2 inches from a hole in one on the 8th. My name was first on the NP list, but about 40ft away!

The meal was appreciated by all, and we all applauded the kitchen for the meal and service. We had Beef Bourguignon followed by Chocolate orange torte with ice cream.

A good day was had by all.

No comments: